Las Vegas Astronomy Club
The Las Vegas Astronomical Society is an organization of amateur astronomers, formed to promote amateur astronomy in Southern Nevada.
The Society was established in July, 1980, and is a non-profit organization, operating under the auspices of the College of Southern Nevada Planetarium, Dr. Dale Etheridge, Director.
Our sole purpose is to promote the love and enjoyment of Astronomy. We hold regularly scheduled monthly meetings and observation sessions, at which we share information on current astronomical events, tools and techniques for observation, astrophotography, astronomical computer software, and other topics concerning general astronomy.
We endeavor to make all of our events open to the public. We also assist and support the efforts of other community groups with similar educational and astronomical activities.
We have an active Education Outreach Program, providing support for School Science and Astronomy Nights, Scout Troops, Service Organizations, and other organizations with an interest in Astronomy. Membership in the Society is open to the public.
Benefits of Membership include:
- Special programs for beginner astronomers
- Discount subscription to Astronomy and Sky and Telescope magazines
- Discounts from astronomical suppliers
- Group rates for accommodations at LVAS events
- Camping paid by club at the Annual Cathedral Gorge Star Party
- LVAS Astronomical Library
- Loaner telescopes for members
- Monthly observing sessions
- Monthly meetings at the CCSN Planetarium and Planetarium shows.
c/o John Heller-Treasurer
5609 Indian Ridge
North Las Vegas, NV 89031